Increasing Tire Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Increasing Tire Size

My existing OEM 8.5 X 8 inch tires are on my "not" Lifted EZGO 2005 TXT electric cart. I am interested in going to new polished metal wheels and 205-50-10 tires. Will this increase in tire size rub the existing frame? What type of tire (quality, low profile or not ) should I consider? Are there low and high end products? My cart usage is non-highway, non-golf couse usage. I travel on RV campground asphalt and gravel roads, with no off-road usage. Looking at catelogs I am totally confused with the center, offset 3-4 thing. I assume my existing wheels are center. Is the size of the offset a feature that determines if the wheel will rub the frame? Does one need an offset wheel (for looks ?) or do I just order something that is center mounted? I am trying to feel comfortable understanding my options before placing that $400.00 to $500.00 online order, and not having to rely on the salesperson's pitch to sell a product. (Trying to be an informed consumer and not having to return products that will not work on my cart).

I have those on my wife's cart and they are about the same as stock cart wheels in both width and height. you would need offset if you want to lift the cart. the majority of aftermarket rims from what I've found out are 3/4 offset
    Attached Files
    Updated by dwon5; January 25, 2012, 07:47 PM.
    IF WE CAN'T HELP OTHERS THEN WHAT KIND OF PEOPLE ARE WE
    sigpic

Comment

As dwon5 mentioned most aftermarket wheels have an offset.
      Here is where I get my wheels and tires when I need them, a 10" wheel/tire combo runs from $360 to $400 shippped, link: 10" Wheels with Low Pro Tires
      The stock 8" wheels that are on the cart are usually centered.
      The offset for golf cart wheels is expressed in rim width in inches inside and outside of center. Eg: stock 6" wide wheels would be a 3+3 offset.
      Here is a visual to help explain what I mean:
      Click on photo to enlarge.
      Attached Files
      Updated by dougmcp; January 26, 2012, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Get your lift and tires together so the store will figure your offset

Comment

Hello,

99% of the time when you purchase wheels from someone who deals solely in golf carts the wheels will be offset by at least 2" already. The wheels you are looking at shouldn't have much of an issue, you might get a little bit of scrub in real sharp turns, but other than that nothing much.

Comment

I ordered 215/40/12 wheels with no lift. Hope they fit.

Comment

They Fit! Yahooooo!

Comment

View More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
              X